Tuesday, September 27, 2022

George Alagiah RETURNS to BBC’s News At Six, after stepping back for cancer treatment [Video]

George Alagiah RETURNS to BBC’s News At Six, six months after stepping back to undergo treatment for bowel cancer

  • George Alagiah returned to BBC’s News At Six tonight, with Clive Myrie in Kyiv
  • The 66-year-old newsreader was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2014
  • In 2020, he caught Covid-19 after deciding to stop appearing in the studio
  • ‘I’ll be back in the BBCNews studio today after months of treatment’ he Tweeted

George Alagiah returned to the BBC’s News At Six tonight after ‘months of treatment’.

The 66-year-old newsreader, who was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2014, announced he was taking a break from his presenting duties in October last year.

His agent said at the time that he was dealing with a further spread of the disease.

He opened the News At Six with a piece on Rwanda, where a £120million scheme will send immigrant men to East Africa if they arrived in the UK via an ‘unofficial route’.

He made no reference to his presenting break or cancer treatment during the show.

This afternoon, Alagiah tweeted: ‘I’ll be back in the @BBCNews studio today after months of treatment.

He opened the News At Six with a piece on Rwanda, where a £120million scheme will send immigrant men to East Africa if they arrived in the UK via an ‘unofficial route’

‘Pure coincidence – it’s 8 years to the day since I was told I had stage 4 bowel cancer.

‘So good to be with the News at Six team again.’

Incoming BBC News political editor Chris Mason was among those welcoming his return.

He tweeted: ‘Welcome back @BBCAlagiah!’

The 66-year-old newsreader, who was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2014, returned to the BBC's News At Six this evening

The 66-year-old newsreader, who was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2014, returned to the BBC’s News At Six this evening

George Alagiah returned to screens tonight, eight years to the day since he was told that he had stage four bowel cancer

George Alagiah returned to screens tonight, eight years to the day since he was told that he had stage four bowel cancer

Former BBC News science editor David Shukman added: ‘Really delighted that the wonderful @BBCAlagiah is returning to our screens tonight. George, very best wishes.’

Sri Lanka-born Alagiah underwent 17 rounds of chemotherapy to treat his advanced bowel cancer in 2014.

He returned to presenting duties in 2015 after making progress against the disease, and said he was a ‘richer person’ for it.

His cancer returned in December 2017 and the presenter underwent further treatment before again returning to work.

In 2020, he tested positive for coronavirus after deciding to stop appearing in the studio during the outbreak following advice from doctors and colleagues.

Advertisement

Latest news
Related news

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here